6/25/09

More Culture (No Beer)




Most of you readers will know that I'm still not crazy about Munich and its inhabitants, but that I'm trying really hard (okay – hardish) to make the best out of our life here in the great capital of Bavaria. And I am succeeding, I think. Through Karl I have met a couple of really nice people, made friends even. I guess the recipe is to avoid too much contact with the natives, which of course is hard sometimes. You can never completely eliminate them from the equation of your everyday life, if you want to leave the house here and there. I know, this is a total snobbitude and yes, we have a super-cushy washer-and-dryer-combo-life here, but I'm telling you THIS WEATHER makes the Munich aborigines really unbearable. You know, Winter here can be depressing, but the Bavarians don't mind because it's the time they use to recuperate from the beer drinking season. The problem is that if they can't do their whole sitting-out-in-the-beer-garden-in-the-sunshine-thing in Summer, they get mad and mean. Because the whole city is defined by BEERABILITY! Well, I could go on but I won't.



As you might have figured out by now there's no going to the playground these days so we went to see the recently opened Jean Dubuffet show. Karl correctly identified eyes, noses and mouths on a lot of the very abstract portraits, which made me proud. It's a great exhibition and I would have loved to stay a little longer, but we were treated unfriendly, in a couple of places in town even hostile yesterday, so we retreated to our home with a nice piece of strawberry cake.

2 comments:

Andrian said...

I think the beerability rating of some parts of the US of A wasn't half bad either. But I do agree that the beerability of Munich is unmatched. Might have to do with the Munich beer that has an effect on the brain like a neutron bomb. All structures are intact, just life has evaporated in a destructiv mist.

sabine said...

fred, isn't it time to show them how good a boxer you really are? i mean, hostile? go get'em.